Alex LIU focuses on mergers and acquisitions, private equity investment & financing as well as capital markets related matters, with well-established expertise on takeover and public companies’ reorganization, cross-border transactions, red-chip restructuring and state-owned assets regulatory related.
In the field of merger and acquisitions, including the acquisition of listed companies, major restructuring, cross-border transactions and mixed ownership reform of state-owned enterprises, Alex has represented various clients regarding many significant deals, which include:
Takeover of control and tender offer projects, eg:
- Meiya Pico (300188);
- Cangzhou Dahua Group (600230);
- Sichuan Shuangma Cement (000935); and
- Yinge Investment (600069).
Restructuring and cross-border transactions, eg:
- the merger of Huabei Expressway (000916) by China Merchants Highway;
- the over RMB 18.7 billion takeover of ADAMA (the biggest pesticide manufacturer in Israel) by China Chemical-owned listed company Sanonda (000553);
- the establishment and merger integration of Xiamen Port involving various A share and Hong Kong listed companies;
- the restructuring of China Resources Pharmaceutical and Beijing Pharmaceutical with various A share listed companies involved;
- the acquiring of Tianjin Port (A shares listed) by Tianjin Port Development (Hong Kong listed), the first cross-border share exchange transaction;
- various significant domestic property assets acquiring by China Resources Land (Hong Kong listed);
- the reverse takeover (RTO) of HanKore Environment (Singapore listed) by Everbright International (Hong Kong listed);
- the selling of TNUVA (Israeli assets) to Bright Food by APAX Fund; and
- the acquiring of skiing resorts in Yabuli by Melco International, etc.
Red-chip restructuring, Alex’s representative clients in this area include Douyu.com, Baofeng Group, Bangcle, Chunyu Yisheng, EASOU Technology and Baixing.com, etc.
State-owned assets regulatory, Alex has represented the target companies or investors in many merger and reorganization matters of central enterprises and local state-owned enterprises, as well as introducing strategic investors for state-owned enterprises’ mixed ownership reforms initiatives, etc.
In the field of PE investment and financing, Alex has represented numerous funds and investors regarding various PE investment, funding as well as fund manager’s registration and filing matters, such as China Merchants Capital, Goldstone, CICC Alpha, Jinrong Street Capital, China Internet Investment Fund, and New Horizon Capital, etc. His representative deals include providing legal services to Montage Technology, Manbang Group, Xiyun International, CHJAutomotive, Lufax, and Ping An Good Doctor for their RMB or red-chip structure inbound and outbound investment projects.
In the field of capital markets, Alex has advised on China Resources Microelectronics Limited’s IPO on SSE STAR – the first case in Chinese capital markets of a red chip company directly issuing A shares and listing in China; Baofeng Group (300431)’s IPO; Douyu.com (DOYU) and VisionChina (VISN)’s Nasdaq listing; Tong Ji Tang (600090)’s listing on New York Exchange Stock; Dynasty (00828), Huaying Highway (01823), Hongba Digital (00802) and Sanlin Global (019020)’s listing on Hong Kong Exchange Stock; Vanke’s B to H share conversion; the delisting of Zhengzhou Gas (Hong Kong listed); and various real estate companies’ overseas bond issuance, etc.
2011 – present Global Law Office
2010 – 2011 Jones Day (Beijing)
2004 – 2009 Global Law Office
Admitted in the PRC (2005)
2009 – 2010 UC Berkeley, LL.M.
2001 – 2004 Renmin University of China, LL.M.
1997 – 2001 Northeastern University, LL.B.
Chambers and Partners
- Leading Lawyer in Capital Markets: Debt & Equity, 2018 – 2020;
The Legal 500 Asia Pacific
- Highly Recommended Lawyers in Corporate and M&A, 2018 – 2020;
- Highly Recommended Lawyers in Capital Markets, 2016;
ALB（Asian Legal Business）
- Top 15 M&A Lawyers, 2018;
- Nominees for Young Lawyers of the Year, 2017;
- Top 15 Rising Lawyers, 2014;
- Leading Lawyers in Capital Markets, 2020;
- Leading Lawyers in Corporate and M&A, 2017 – 2019;
- Leading Lawyers in Capital Markets, 2020;
- Leading Lawyers in Corporate and M&A, 2017 – 2018.
Alex's recently published books include:
- Chinese Capital Market Takeover and Restructuring Guide, Wolters Kluwer 2010;
- Chinese Company and Securities Law: Investment Vehicles, Mergers and Acquisitions and Corporate Finance in China, Wolters Kluwer 2008 First Edition, 2016 Second Edition; and
- Remedies in International Sales: Perspectives from CISG, UNIDROIT Principles and PECL, JurisNet 2007.
Alex also offers professional interpretation and shares information, through the WeChat account "ListCo", regarding the latest developments of rules and deals in M&A and the capital market.